Selling Online in Auctions
Selling Online Auctions
If you think you have lots of stuff piled at home that might actually be worth something, you could try selling these online.
With the help of Ebay and other online auction sites, people have created money from all the stuff, junk or treasure that they have accumulated over the years.
People have even made successful home-based businesses out of it, and more and more people like you are getting in on the action.
Almost anything can be sold on the net. You will be surprised at the things most people are willing to buy, from vintage cans to old socks. Amateur sellers could do well by heeding the advice of those who have made fortunes selling stuff online. It is a fact that selling your things online is a gamble.
There is no sure way to know if your stuff will sell, if you will get you’re your money once you’ve sold it. It’s always a good thing to know what people want, and once you have started selling, establish a loyal list of clients who can spread your name to other people.
Build a reputation as someone who is dependable and who does business in a fair and timely manner.
Here are a few other tips to help you start your own online selling business.
- Know your site. There are a lot of scam auction sites out there and you need to be wary. Know how much your auction site charges for every listing. To do this you must look carefully at the terms and conditions of the site. Some online auction sites will charge you a flat rate for every listing, while other sites will take a percentage out of everything that you sell.
Some might even charge you a few extra dollars if you want to post additional pictures of your item.
So do your homework, and get to know your auction site before actually doing business on it. It might make the difference between getting a profit or non at all.
2. Take a good photo of your item. The photo is the only physical description that your potential buyers have of your item. To be able to sell your items you must be able to lure the customer in, and one of the ways you can do this is through a good photo.
A well-taken photograph will attract more customers, while a badly –taken photo may not only say something about your item, it could also reflect on your quality as a seller.
With all the photo-editing techniques today you can touch up your photo anyway you want so that it can attract more people.
3. Aside from the picture, a good description of your item is a must. Think about what you would want to know if you are on the buying end, and list those when writing a description.
Use specifications, and include all information needed by the buyer to make a good decision. Stick to the facts, too, since going overboard would be tantamount to lying.
4. If you are a newbie you need to widen your contacts. You can do this by joining message boards and forums which are great places to find new customers.
The more people you know the easier it is to spread news about your items trough word of mouth advertising. Forums are also great places to meet experienced sellers who will be more than willing to give you a few tips on how to successfully sell your items online.
- Understand the payment options. Make sure you know how you will get paid – and understand how your buyers will expect to pay for merchandise. Each site is different and there are many legit (and illegitimate) payment methods out there
7. Know the shipping rules. Watch other sellers and see what they charge for comparable shipping (and don’t forget insurance).